1,400 Qtown households told power may be off until tomorrow
Here's an update from Aurora Energy on progress in restoring power to the Queenstown area following today's snow. People in many areas are being warned to prepare to be without power overnight,
"Extreme weather conditions and difficulty of access is hampering restoration of power to affected customers in the Wakatipu area. Power has been restored to more than 3000 customers during the course of the day.
Power remains out for 1436 people in the following areas after heavy snowfall. Affected customers should prepare to be without power overnight.
- 285 customers in Fernhill are without power
- 379 customers in Lake Hayes and Gibbston Valley are without power
- 73 customers in Speargrass Flat and Lower Shotover are without power
- 360 customers in Glenorchy are without power
- 270 customers in Dalefield (Malaghans Road, Arthurs Point and Coronet Peak Road) are without power
- 69 customers in Littles Road, Queenstown are without power.
Customers who rely on medical equipment should contact their retailer for any further updates and if there is an immediate health threat contact their health provider or call 111.
Line crews are working hard to restore power in challenging conditions as off road conditions are treacherous and tracks are hidden and very slippery. Crews are still on site at Arrowtown, Dalefield, Queenstown and Frankton, to repair faults caused by snowload on trees and branches.
The safety of the public and line crews is of utmost importance at all times.
The public is reminded to always keep well clear of fallen power lines or damaged electrical equipment and treat them as live at all times.
We thank the public for their patience while we are working to restore power."
Main Image: Matt Baumfield/RNZ.