195 Milford Sound tourists stranded for another 24 hours
The latest update from Emergency Managemet Southland.
The evacuation of 195 tourists from Milford Sound has been put on hold until tomorrow due to weather conditions.
Emergency Management Southland controller Angus McKay said weather conditions do not look promising for helicopter access today and flooding and road closures across Southland means it is better for the tourists to remain in Milford where they are currently safe and being cared for.
“Road closures mean we cannot get the tourists to any of their destinations if we bring them out of Milford and there are accommodation challenges due to other travellers being caught up in the effects of the flooding which is becoming widespread across Southland.
“Forecasts look better for tomorrow, so we will continue with plans to safely evacuate everybody in the morning.”
HAVE YOUR SAY
New to Crux?
Create an account
It's free to register and we won’t bombard you with annoying emails. Login Here.
No one has commented on this page yet.