Multiple travel and road warnings from NZTA
- Nov 20,2018
Media Release from NZTA.
Flooding advice in Otago: avoid non-essential travel, snow coming into Canterbury
The NZ Transport Agency is advising travellers in Otago and around Dunedin to avoid any non-essential travel today and tonight as flood waters cover highways.
Strong winds are bringing down branches in many places making driving hazardous.
There is also snow on SH8 in Canterbury, between Fairlie and Twizel.
Highway closure SH90:
- SH90, Raes Junction to Tapanui and at the Pomahaka River Bridge south of Glenkenich is closed due to flooding and a road drop-out.
Flooding Dunedin, SH88 down to one lane
SH88, between Ravensbourne and Port Chalmers, is flooded in several places with small slips as trees have come down. The wind is very strong and only essential travel is advised, says Nick Rodger, NZ Transport Agency Maintenance Contract Manager. The road is currently passable but one lane in some places.
Area flood warnings are in place for many other Otago highways:
- SH1 south of Milton, caution needed near the Tokomairiro River.
- SH1 Dunedin Central, Dunedin north to Waitati
- SH1 Oamaru to Pukeuri
- SH87 Outram to Mosgiel
- SH8 Raes Junction to Clarksville
- SH8 Miller’s Flat to Roxburgh Village
- SH85 Ranfurly to Kyeburn
- SH83 Kurow to Pukeuri
Snow and ice warning:
- SH8 The Lindis Pass, Omarama to Tarras
- SH85 Kyeburn to Palmerston
- SH85 Ranfurly to Omakau
Drivers can get real time information from:
- 0800 4 HIGHWAYS (0800 44 44 49)
- Follow the Transport Agency South Island updates on social media:https://www.facebook.com/nztasouthisland/
- Otago/ Southland twitter: https://twitter.com/NZTAOS
- MetService www.metservice.com
Otago Regional Council links:
- Twitter: @ORCfloodinfo
Dunedin City Council flooding updates: